Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Marina del Rey, CA/ Do you enjoy life today?

Marina del Rey, CA
© Jasmin Chang 2010
Answer: Mostly. It's part of the sign, I guess. I guess I got tired of seeing so many miserable people in $500,000 cars. I just don't understand why they're so miserable.

I ask how long he has been holding up the "Smile!" sign.

This particular sign? Just a few hours. Just today.

I think it's weird. This sign seems to offend more people than if I had a sign that said "Fuck you." They don't get it, I guess. I've gotten some thumbs up, but I've also gotten a lot of scowls. I was panhandling and holding signs that said the same thing as everyone else--"homeless," "hungry"... and no one was giving me any money so I figured I'd try something else and put a message up.

Question: Why is it that when you ask a sensible question that people generally feel strongly about, most people will answer in an opposite, hardened way and not want to admit their vulnerabilities? For example, the question, how would you feel if a sibling stole from you?




No comments:

Post a Comment