Saturday, December 5, 2009

Los Angeles, CA (Downtown Arts District)/Do you have any tattoos and if not, why?

This Saturday, I went to the first of a series of planned quarterly open studio tours in the downtown arts district. It's always so interesting seeing where and how artists work and it was in a really interesting area of downtown, with coffee shops, huge warehouses, graffiti walls, artist studios, vintage stores etc. that I never knew of... I'll definitely be back for more exploring.

Meet Jeremy Quinn, an artist I met in the Rise Industries studio.

12.5.09 los angeles, downtown arts district
© Jasmin Chang 2009

Answer:
I don't have any tattoos and the only reason is that I haven't thought of something that I want permanently on my body. Michelle, my wife, recently got a tattoo and seeing that one, I kind of want to just pick something and go with it, because it looks so good. The thing I used to want was a scarab beetle with wings, but I wanted to go to Egypt and find one carved in stone and I haven't been to Egypt, so that kind of died. The think I've currently been interested in is the spacecraft thing (Jeremy had shown me some prints that he had made recently using spacecraft images.) or something like that, maybe Pioneer.

Question: Do you live near where you grow up? If so, why did you stay and if not, why did you move away?

1 comment:

  1. I really like the question that Jeremy asked because it made me think of how i would answer it. I haven't really lived with my parents since I left for college and to be honest i don't think my sanity would have it any other way. Yet at the same time i haven't ever been further than a 30-40 minute drive from where i grew up or from either one of my parents. Its like this safety net just in case i fall. I guess i need the illusion of being on my own and as much as i may hate to admit i am scared of truely being on my own.

    ReplyDelete